Executive Director, Mesa Historical Museum
The Mesa Historical Museum records and tells the stories of Mesa residents, past and present. Through creative exhibitions and programming, the museum educates, inspires and engages the Mesa community in our local history and culture. As the 36th largest city in the U.S., Mesa is rapidly growing and changing and the Mesa Historical Museum is now at a crossroads with many opportunities before us. We are seeking an Executive Director who can guide the museum down the best path for success as we look for a new permanent home, strengthen relationships with city and community partners, and establish new sources of financial support for our continued growth and development.
Description: Provides leadership in the management of the Mesa Historical Museum. Directs and participates in fundraising, marketing, development of strategic vision, collection management, financial management, and fostering relationships with major stakeholders and the community. This position reports to the Mesa Historical Society Board of Directors and works with that Board to refine and achieve the goals of the Society and Museum.
Education: Master’s Degree in Museum Studies, History, or a related field (or equivalent experience).
Experience: Six years of museum experience with four years of supervisory experience preferred.
Starting Salary: $40,000-$55,000 annually
- Cultivates relationships with major stakeholders for the purposes of fundraising, including major gifts, for special projects, operations, and development of the Museum collection.
- Plans, coordinates, and directs the operation of the Mesa Historical Museum which includes carrying out the policies and programs as determined by the Mesa Historical Society Board.
- Collaborates with community partners, oversees media relations, coordinates marketing of museum programs, develops membership, and facilitates services to the general public to enhance the museum in the community.
- Oversees the Mesa Historical Museum budget including planning, preparing, monitoring, and administering using a standardized business accounting system; recommends opportunities to grow and develop new revenue streams for the museum.
- Demonstrates effective staff development and organizational skills in areas such as hiring, coaching, collaboration, problem solving, and goal setting. Empowers internal staff, contractors, interns, and volunteers to think, act, and plan in a collaborative manner.
- Ensures the operations and administration of the Museum are in compliance with local City ordinances and local, State, and Federal regulations.
- Attends Board meetings and serves as principal advisor to the Mesa Historical Society Board regarding museum issues and projects.
- Prepares quarterly reports and other special reports as prescribed by the Board.
- Responsible for building security, visitor safety, and maintenance of facilities and equipment.
- Engages fully in every aspect of museum operations including exhibition design and curation, collections management, program development, and museum education.
Our ideal candidate will have:
- A proven track record of fundraising success, successfully managing campaigns, and engaging in outreach with the community.
- Experience in leading a small non-profit organization to success in community engagement and financial security.
- Strong organization and administrative skills including experience with database systems (Past Perfect, TMS, or other museum systems).
Application packet shall include:
- Letter of interest stating the candidate’s professional experience and qualifications
- Resume of experience and education
- Three professional references with contact information. Finalists’ references will be contacted before selection.
Please submit application materials by July 31, 2018 to:
Mesa Historical Society Search Committee
P.O. Box 582
Mesa, AZ 85211
Or email to: email@example.com